Friday, November 24, 2006

Today was photo project day for my photography class. Lighting and subject placement were the themes. Below are some of the photos I took, and not all are for the class. I'll try and explain as we go...
The first photo uses natural light from a 90 degree angle. I like how it makes this inside of the coat disappear, making one wonder if there is something inside. Kinda eerie.












Not for the class, just a Minneapolis icon. Recognize it?


















In front of the Basillica. This is for the class, and demonstrates natural backlighting.


















Not for the class. Just a bold squirrel. He was fine sitting about one meter away from me.












For the class. This was to demonstrate framing of the subject. When I decided to use this position there was a guy in front of the statue, studying it. By the time I got the camera out he had left. Fortunately these two walked by to make it more interesting...


















Also for the class. This is to demonstrate filling the frame with the subject, but offsetting the subject using the rule of thirds. Sometimes this makes a photo more interesting.












A photo, not for the class, of ice skating in downtown St. Paul. Just people having fun and falling down.












Not for the class either. Just a mix of color and light. There was a festival at the Excel Center. Most people seemed to be Hmong, and dressed like this girl in bright colors.


















Not for the class, but an amazingly delicious dish. This is Hiroe's first try at strudel. It was filled with shrimp and other amazingly delicious things. I saved a piece for lunch tomorrow. :-)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice shots, John! Where are you taking a class?

6:24 AM  
Blogger john and hiroe said...

Thanks Corvus! Actually, I'm taking classes via two sources. I'm in an advanced studio lighting class in town as well as home schooling via the New York Institute of Photography. Really, really enjoying both. Did I mention I'm enjoying this?

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home