Sunday, October 08, 2006

Sunday 10/8/06

Today I went to the Minnesota Center for Photography. They had an exhibition on pre-Katrina New Orleans that I wanted to check out. It was pretty cool. As I left I saw this funky place across the street. No doubt an artists home. Sort of a DeLorean feel.



















Then I came across this sculpture park, or should I say sculpture storage area. The artist is Zoran Mojsilov. Everything I took a photo of was apparently for sale.


















Hiroe wants this one for our backyard. It'll look great right next to our future pond and waterfall.


















Each of these pieces was huge... this one was probably my height. Obviously not a coffee table conversation piece.




























































Work in progress. Maybe I'll stop by later to see what becomes of this piece.













This nifty rocket must be 6-7 meters tall when upright. It had three levels, and it seemed you could climb into all of them from the bottom. Not sure where this came from or where it's going. Maybe there's room for this too in our backyard.













For those camping types. However, I'm not sure why you'd take an 'A' camping.













Next I headed off to find Bassett Creek. This creek has an element of intrigue for me because it flows from the western suburbs of Minneapolis then goes below ground and under the city, eventually exiting into the Mississippi. I first learned of this creek in high school, when my friend's mom moved into the Itasca building. Part of the renovations included opening up the floor in a common area of the building and covering it with glass. You could see the creek through this new window. When the building was renovated, I heard that some of the workmen took a canoe through the creek - exploring. The last time I was at the Itasca building, the window was gone. I've since found web sites of other people who have ventured down this underground waterway in a canoe. It sounds pretty cool. There's actually several urban exploration groups in the cities that explore underground tunnels and abandonded buildings. Something I've been interested in, but never done.
So, where was this story going? Well, I just wanted to find the point where Bassett Creek goes under the city. It was rainy today, so I didn't spend too much time exploring, but I did find the creek. Next time I go there, I'll see if I can find the point where it "goes under." Today, this is what I saw. I like this picture in Sepia tone better than color...












The bridge in the above picture is a railroad bridge. The entrance to the bridge looks like this. Seems someone has a problem with those pesky trains.













Or maybe the sign was an indication of what's to come. This was what I found further down the track. Yes, a stop sign on a railroad is odd, but it was even more strange that the sign was after the crossing railroad track. At that point, it's really too late.













And now I come to our evening. Hiroe made up these wonderful bento boxes for dinner. Totemo oishikatta. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home