Monday, September 11, 2006

doria's and the boat 9/3/06

Ok, ok, ok... I know, I'm not keeping up with the blog. This post is about our day a week and a day ago. Recently I've been spending a lot of time working with our Japan photos and building a fence. Another fence in our yard. One that we hope will decrease the Soba barking problem. Not sure if it will help. But that story is for another day, when I get caught up to last weekend. On the photo side, I've finally figured out how to post photos with the same color quality I see in the image before posting it. You might notice the photo in the last post is washed out. It took some digging in Photoshop to figure out how to maintain the color. For now, suffice it to say I'm happy. :-) Now, on to our Saturday September 3rd.

Went to see Yokko's friend Doria, her kids, her parents, and her sister. We spent a lot of time talking with Doria's father, Kirk. He recently worked at a rail yard in St. Paul and it was fun to listen to someone sooo enthusiastic about life experiences. He showed us his web site where he documented the job, the trains, the tracks, etc., etc.
Later we made pizza. It was great. We took some home. It was even good days later.














Later in the day we went on a St. Croix river boat cruise. It was a request of Yokko, while she was in town. The whole family went.












I was concerned that the cruise would not be as good as a Mississippi river cruise since you don't have the locks and the buildings to enjoy. But in the end we ate great food (with a second trip to the buffet) and enjoyed speculating about the background of the other passengers... something more suited to a bar, but hey, the boat had alcohol.































I liked the image of this guy. Don't know who he is, but he was captivated by sand or the empty dock. Or something. The hat kind of made the photo for me. It says, "Big Bertha."












Oh, and there was some discussion in Japan about what instrument I could play at Anton's wedding party. I have a musical disability in that the last instrument I practiced playing is a trumpet in the first grade. But, alas there is hope! I think with a little practice I can play the washboard. Note the guy that's second from the right.













Hiroe said I should run the idea past Kana first. So, Kana, what do you think? Can we form a trio? You and Hiroe on the recorder, me on the washboard. Sweet!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home