Thursday, February 23, 2006

Photoquest 2/19/06

On my way home from work I pass this old abandonded (I think) train. Every time I pass it I think of how I'd enjoy taking some photos of it. Not sure why, as there are plenty of photos of trains. But I wondered what I could do with the colors. Well, I found out what I could do - not much. It's a rusting peice of metal. Nothing really interesting about it. No bold colors. No cool view points. But the sky was very blue, and I was already there, so...














It did give me some opportunities to learn about what doesn't work... like the blown-out (too bright) sky in the picture below.














I know I could spice up that picture with Photoshop. Enhance the colors. Sharpen the contrast. But I'm really interested in photographing things for what they are.















Just like yesterday, I was getting cold. I decided to head home... with one stop. I have always seen this bridge over 94 that seems to have been forgotten. Both ends dead end at either a steel or concrete wall. It has this time warp look, like a transition point between two worlds. I had to find it.

It took some investigating to find - trying to determining where I was at with respect to the bridge. But here it is. A symbol of what progress can mean. Obsolescence.

3 Comments:

Blogger BeoWitch said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:36 PM  
Blogger BeoWitch said...

Let me try this again. Where was this picture taken? The one over I-94? Are the two ends of the bridge railroad tressels?

Beo

p.s. Very cool photos, especially the first one with the pristine sky and the rusting wreck.

10:38 PM  
Blogger john and hiroe said...

Thanks for the compliment. The bridge joins to a concrete wall on the side you can't see. It's over 94 just west of snelling. J

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home