Saturday, February 18, 2006

It's cold 2/18/06

So today I decided to take a walk from our house to the river with my camera. It was -15 C outside... so I didn't have any intention of being gone long. Just looking for some cool sights. The first one I saw was our neighbor's tree "decorated" with toilet paper. Not an unusual sight. Most likely it was directed at a teenage child in the house by some of their friends. Either a playful or mean gesture. Obviously, it's difficult to discern from the end result whether the "t-p'ers" intention's were positive or not. Nevertheless, what impressed me is that this was likely done last night when it was -25 C outside. Very determined artists.



















I had hoped to take some shots of steam coming up from the river, as I had seen yesterday. The steam makes the mississippi look like a giant flowing hot spring. Almost inviting. I guess I hadn't counted on the river actually freezing over. I should have taken the shots yesterday.

However, I did hike along this trail on a bluff above the river.



















I passed a few determined joggers, who stepped lightly over the occasional ice. In general the air was very crisp. It felt great to breath it, but it seemed to sting my lungs if I breathed too hard. I learned this while climbing around trying to find a good picture. We learned it again when we went for a walk and the Gnocchi got free of his leash. Three blocks of chasing the dog left Hiroe and I coughing a bit from the frigid air.

Lastly I saw this ice creation and thought, "Hmmm, something you'll never see in Phoenix."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home